Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Chemistry Lab.

My boss is out of town this week and I've been covering her classes. This week's lab involved photo-chemistry which is pretty cool stuff. I went down and went through the lab to make sure I knew what I was doing before the students had a crack at it. It was a real simple lab actually. Make a pinhole camera, take a picture, process the film. I ended up with what I thought were a couple of cool shots.

The camera directly exposes the film so there is no negative, this means that the picture comes out as a negative mirror image. Here's the first picture I took of my bike on the bike rack out back of the lab. The exposure time was around 90 seconds. I just set the camera on the ground and opened the shutter.

bike_neg

The picture is a little scratchy looking because I neglected to clean the scanner.

Now here's the same picture reversed and inverted with Photoshop. I think it looks pretty cool.

bike

Now here's a random shot of some weird pipes out back of the building. I left this one as a negative for a cool lit-from-within effect.

pipes

Fun stuff. I think I enjoyed it more than the students did.

No comments: