Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Cute Game!

Well, another week, another week older. Jamie is starting to go from relatively inanimate lump, to interactive play machine. Among his more interesting milestones achieved thus far. (I'll spare you from the details regarding frequency, quantity, and consistency of his bowel movements. Let's just say often, plentiful, and nasty should about cover it.)

* He has, at two weeks, figured out how to roll over from his belly to his back, something most babies don't figure out until around 12 to 15 weeks. We could be in trouble with this one.

* Christine managed to coax a big smile out of him by smiling at him.

* I got him to laugh or chuckle, it's hard to say which, by pretending that my fingers were a bird's beak and saying cheep, cheep, cheep while pecking at his nose.

* He thinks that the baby on the other side of the mirror is pretty interesting and will stare at him for an hour straight.

* And just yesterday he discovered a new game. Christine noticed, that he would stare at her and then look away and pretend to sleep. If you looked away, he would look back and then fuss until you looked back at him and then he would look away again. Christine was calling it "playing possum."

I came home from work and Christine excitedly told me about his new game. We both agreed that it was, indeed, very cute. That was until last night at about 3 am, after eating for a hour, instead of going right to sleep like he usually does after a 2 am feeding, he wanted to perfect his new game. I'm usually in charge of changing him and putting him back to bed after he eats. I got him cleaned up and put him back in his cradle. As soon as I laid him down he started fussing and was wide awake. Usually what I do in situations such as this is put him on my chest and hum to him. The vibrations usually send him right off to slumber land. Not last night. It was eyes wide open, staring straight at me. When I stared back he'd turn his head and shut his eyes, faining sleep. Every time I'd think he was asleep, I'd start to drift off as well. Unfortunately if he saw me sleeping, he'd start crying until I opened my eyes again, at which point he'd pretend to sleep again. This went on for at least an hour. It was exhausting to say the least. I have determined that cuteness is time-of-day dependent.

No comments: